Craigslist scams take on many shapes and forms: being overpaid on a sale, paying via an online escrow service and/or renting or buying unavailable property listings.
- The person only wants you to use their resources for payment.
- The person asks for personal information (Social Security Number or bank account number).
- The person rushes the transaction, making you feel leery about it.
- Asked to receive/send funds from/to another party.
What if you're a victim?
- If you've been scammed, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and file a complaint online or call their Toll Free hotline at 1.877.FTC.HELP (382.4357). Craigslist also recommends calling the local police for any scams that take place in person.